Monday, February 07, 2011

The White Stripes (R.I.P.)- Under Great White Northern Lights


"The White Stripes do not belong to Meg and Jack anymore. The White Stripes belong to you now and you can do with it whatever you want. The beauty of art and music is that it can last forever if people want it to. Thank you for sharing this experience. Your involvement will never be lost on us and we are truly grateful."

This was the official announcement that appeared on The White Stripes website on February 2, 2011 stating their band has officially ended and will make no further records or perform live. The band wanted to clarify, "The reason is not due to artistic differences or lack of wanting to continue, nor any health issues as both Meg and Jack are feeling fine and in good health. It is for a myriad of reasons, but mostly to preserve what is beautiful and special about the band and have it stay that way."

This is sad news for fans of the band, myself included, and wish I had an opportunity to see them live. I had my chance a few years back, but I was kind of on the fence with their music, but more recently I've rediscovered and acquired most of their recordings and now appreciate the great music Jack and Meg recorded. Their breakup isn't much of a surprise, they haven't been active since 2007 (except for a Conan O'Brien appearance on February 20, 2009, their last ever live performance!) when they cancelled 18 tour dates due to Meg's acute anxiety problems and their last studio album, Icky Thump was released in 2007. Jack has been busy with his other projects. He formed The Raconteurs in 2005 (released 2 studio records), as well as The Dead Weather in 2009.

The White Stripes last official release was a documentary film and a live album called, Under Great White Northern Lights which documented the band's summer 2007 tour across Canada. I thought it would be appropriate being that I'm Canadian I should post this album on my blog. I remember their visit to Winnipeg and their impromptu performance on a transit bus and on the bridge near The Forks, very cool! During the tour, they mainly played arenas, but also dropped into smaller clubs and bowling alleys for mini-performances. I haven't seen the film yet, but with the breakup of the band I think it would be nice to revisit the last tour from a truly great American band.
Enjoy!

THE WHITE STRIPES
Under Great White Northern Lights (2010)

(this is the album, not the documentary film)

1. Let's Shake Hands
2. Black Math
3. Little Ghost
4. Blue Orchid
5. The Union Forever (White, Pepe Guizar)
6. Ball and Biscuit (incorporating portions of "I Believe I'll Dust My Broom" and "Phonograph Blues" both by Robert Johnson)
7. Icky Thump
8. I'm Slowly Turning Into You
9. Jolene (Dolly Parton)
10. 300 M.P.H. Torrential Outpour Blues
11. We Are Going to Be Friends
12. I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself (Burt Bacharach, Hal David)
13. Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn
14. Fell in Love with a Girl
15. When I Hear My Name
16. Seven Nation Army

THE WHITE STRIPES- Under Great White Northern Lights. rar

2 comments:

irishantichrist said...

Thanks very much.

Unknown said...

Thanks a million friend

Locations of visitors to this page